Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mentor Text Linky

I am linking up with Staci and Amanda for their mentor text linky today. I am very excited about their linky parties because I feel excited and confident I can do a linky correctly since I do not do them often.

Well as for my mentor text during the beginning of the year iwasalays pulling out my trusty First Day Jitters book. It is one that I know the kids always loves well as I do to watch their faces when the surprising ending occurs.


However last year I was feeling I needed something else and that is when I stumbled upon Juice Box Bully. I am not sure where I first read about it but the book sparked my interest because in our school, being slow income area, we find that we have a lot of bullying among our older kids. We are constantly having assemblies and special clubs started for the kids to have an outlet away from bullying.

It is about a teacher who during  the first few days of school has anew kid enter the class and that student comes in fired up and ready to bully and show how tough he can be. The other kids in the class explain how they signed a contract to stand up for one another and not bully each other. They provide a sample of the contract in the book. My class and I wrote a very similar pledge/contract during our first few days and posted it as a reminder during those times it's difficult to get along or stand up to others.






So here goes the linky part. I hope I do this right!


Link up with Staci and Amanda and share what mentor text you use in the first few days of school!


2 comments:

  1. Juice Box Bully sounds like a great book. I haven't heard of it but something we have to address! Thanks for sharing!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is your blog??? Adorable!!!

    I love First Day Jitters! It's definitely a must read for the first week!! I have not seen Juice Box Bully but I must check that out!!

    I'm so glad that you linked up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete