Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Slant Box Changed My Entire Day

I can't believe I let the entire month of September fly by without even getting one blog in. This should tell you a little bit about how stressful, hectic, and overwhelming the beginning of this year has been. I am new to 3rd grade, from 4th grade, which I felt was going to be an easier transition than this because I knew what I wanted to get them to for being successful in 4th, but oh boy I did not prepare myself for how young they were. I also have a para this year, who FYI is the best person in the world and will be and already has been my savior thus far.

I only have a few short minutes before I need to head back to lesson planning and preparing but I wanted to share with you that I received my Slant Box this month, my first one ever, and I have never been so excited in my life! I was like a kid on Christmas morning opening the best present ever. Thanks to Amanda from Teaching Maddeness that my day was complete yesterday. Also a shout out to Lessons With Coffee and Jameson for putting this all together every month. It was the best surprise especially at the end of yesterday because I was at school all day then went straight to my second job at Outback and was exhausted when I got home to find this on my front door.

The way she put the box together it was like she really knew me. It was amazing. Thank you again Amanda!!

One thing I will leave you with and would appreciate feedback on. I have a student in my classroom this year who has Autism and has been having meltdowns every day. It is not at any particular time or during any subject. It varies every day and sometimes escalates to punching objects or stomping around the room yelling how mad he is. I am trying to find out a way to calm him down or even avoid him loosing control and keeping him involved in the class discussion and activities more. Right now the school behaviorist allows him to take a walk when he is having these moments but he must come back in a calmer mood and ready to work. Has anyone had more experience with students with Autism? What strategies worked for you? I know that no two children are exactly alike but after these past few days I am willing to try any and all strategies.

I will upload pictures of my slant box later tonight. More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment